Jim Galloway Frosted Edge

Slain Mountie laid to rest

Police dog Cito looks over his shoulder at the funeral on Friday for his partner and handler, Cpl. Jim Galloway.

PHOTO CREDIT: Shaughn Butts, The Journal


PHOTO CREDIT: Shaughn Butts, The Journal


Pallbearers remove the casket from Sherwood Park's Alliance Church. Cpl. Galloway's funeral was attended by 4,600 people.
CREDIT: Larry Wong, The Journal


Over 75 police dogs took part in the funeral service. Cpl. Galloway was a police dog handler for 28 years.
CREDIT: Shaughn Butts, The Journal


Sgt. Grant McCulloch walks with Cito during the funeral of RCMP Cpl. James Galloway on Friday. McCulloch is a former partner of Galloway's and Cito was Galloway's canine companion.
CREDIT: Larry Wong, The Journal

Two-thousand officers and 75 police dogs attend funeral for Cpl. Jim Galloway

Renata D'Aliesio, and Jessica Leeder
The Edmonton Journal

Saturday, March 06, 2004

Margaret Galloway wept as she drew a Canadian flag to her chest, thousands of people watching silently beneath a cold, grey sky.

Her children stood by her, holding her arms and shedding their own tears, while a hearse prepared to take RCMP Cpl. Jim Galloway away.

Cito, a 10-year-old German shepherd, whimpered for his master and partner.

The last time they were together, Galloway was shot in the back after a six-hour standoff with a schizophrenic man outside a house in Spruce Grove.

When the bagpipes began, police dogs started to bark as Cito and Galloway's former partner, Sgt. Grant McCulloch, followed the hearse past rows and rows of uniformed police officers.

The moment overwhelmed pallbearer Garry Gerber. Galloway was his best friend. "Seeing Cito without his buddy, without his handler, it was tough," Gerber said after the service, his voice cracking, eyes filled with tears.

Galloway's life and work were remembered Friday in Sherwood Park's Alliance Church. Police officers from every major force in the country, and some from the United States, were on hand to salute the 34-year veteran, who spent 28 of those years as a police dog handler.

It took 40 minutes for about 2,000 officers to march in troops of 50 to the red-brick church. While waiting for the procession to begin, many officers stooped to scratch Cito behind the ears. Some dropped to their knees to wrap their arms around the dog and pat his back.

The funeral march began at 9:45 a.m. A crisp cadence of "left, right, left, right" carried through the cold wind's bluster. Edmonton, Calgary and RCMP police-band members led the two-block procession, followed by more than 75 police dogs and their handlers.

Cito kept glancing back along the route.

"He gets confused when his dad's not around," said McCulloch, who escorted Cito at the family's request.

The scene touched the hearts of dozens of residents watching from snow-covered sidewalks. Some huddled under blankets as the wind whipped, the morning temperature near -20 C.

In a blue parka and heavy tan pants, Ken Gilmet wiped away tears as he captured the procession on his video camera. He couldn't bear to head to the church afterwards to say goodbye to his friend. The video would be his farewell.

"I think the community will grieve his loss for a long time," said Gilmet, teardrops streaming down his cheeks.

Inside Alliance Church, 4,600 mourners filled every seat and packed the hallways for the two-hour service. Deputy Prime Minister Anne McLellan, Strathcona County Mayor Vern Hartwell and Edmonton Mayor Bill Smith were among the dignitaries. Premier Ralph Klein was unable to attend because of scheduled meetings in Calgary.

RCMP Const. Al Fraser, a close friend of Galloway, spoke on behalf of the slain officer's wife and three children. "For Margaret and the children, words can't put it into context," he said. "It's overwhelming ... It's knowing that you're not alone. That's the biggest thing helping us cope. We're not alone."

RCMP Commissioner Giuliano Zaccardelli spoke about Galloway's killing and its effect on the police family. He said police officials should get together with health-care experts to ensure such tragedies don't happen again.

Best friend to the very end

Jessica Leeder, and Renata D'Aliesio
The Edmonton Journal

Saturday, March 06, 2004

SHERWOOD PARK - Cito the police dog seemed to keep searching for his partner.

All through the funeral, the 10-year-old German shepherd kept turning his head, as if looking in vain for the one face he will never see again.

The dog was on duty last Saturday when his RCMP partner and handler Cpl. Jim Galloway was fatally shot, following a standoff with a mentally ill man in Spruce Grove.

Flanked by another of Galloway's former partners, RCMP Sgt. Grant McCulloch, Cito and more than 75 K-9 teams from detachments across the country led the two-block funeral procession on Friday.

During the two-hour church service, Cito lay near Galloway's family, occasionally whimpering. Later the dog faithfully trailed his former partner's coffin as it was driven away in a hearse.

The heartbreaking show of loyalty brought many to tears, including several dog handlers.

"I have a strong feeling of sorrow for Cito," said Lethbridge police Const. Brian Stef, who marched in the procession with his K-9 partner, Zircon.

"Everybody that goes into canine at some point will have heartache. Losing (Galloway) is going to be very hard on the dog.

"I don't think he'll ever get over that.

"If we lost a dog in the line of duty, we'd have the same kind of feelings as what the dog's having now."

Cpl. Judi Watt of the RCMP's Dauphin, Man., detachment knew Galloway for 13 years. She said one of hardest parts of dealing with his death will be thinking about that dog, now left alone.

"These guys are unbelievable partners," she said of police dogs.

"They'd give their lives for us in a second," she said, her voice breaking.

The fact that K-9 teams came from across the country to pay their respects was testament to Galloway's love of working with dogs, friends said.

Cito's future has yet to be decided. The shepherd, his black muzzle dotted with grey, has already served longer than most police dogs, who normally retire around age seven, said McCulloch.

Although Cito spent the last week living at the Edmonton police dog kennel, the Galloway family could still decide to keep him for themselves, McCulloch said.

Funeral for a friend


Hundreds of Mounties in full red serge led a grim procession of police through Sherwood Park yesterday - a massive display of pageantry to honour an officer gunned down in the line of duty. RCMP dog handler Cpl. Jim Galloway, a 34-year service veteran who died a week ago in an armed standoff in Spruce Grove, was mourned by more than 4,500 relatives, friends and fellow officers at the Sherwood Park Alliance Church.

Roughly 2,000 Mounties and representatives of major Canadian urban police forces braved the winter elements to march in full dress uniform through quiet suburban streets to the church. It was, said participants, the largest police funeral procession ever seen in Edmonton.

"We're a brotherhood," Sgt. Norm Webster of the Vancouver city police said yesterday. "Dog handlers are always in the thick of things when there's a dangerous call. Galloway loved it - he wouldn't have stayed on the job so long otherwise. We need to pay our respects."

RCMP Commissioner Giuliano Zaccardelli gave what many described as a very moving speech, praising Cpl. Galloway's courage and devotion to public service.

"Jim Galloway was our brother," he said. "His life is our life. The values and ideals he shared are the sort that sometimes demand of us the ultimate sacrifice.

"We will remember him. It is our code ... our heart."

Deputy Prime Minister Anne McLellan delivered Ottawa's condolences to Galloway's family, describing him as a "true hero.

"No words from here can assuage your grief, or convey our gratitude," she said.

Premier Ralph Klein was not at the funeral, due to a previous commitment. Solicitor General Heather Forsyth passed his regrets to the widow, Margaret, and expressed her own.

"As a wife and mother, I've tried to put myself in your shoes. They say grief is the price we pay for love," she said.

Alberta Lt.-Gov. Lois Hole reminded mourners that Galloway died doing what he loved best. "Today, more than ever, we need heroes.

"It is a great comfort to us to know that people like Jim Galloway still walk among us," Hole said.

Senior RCMP dog trainer, Staff Sgt. Warren Ganes, said the public may never know how much good Galloway, 55, did for his community on the job.

"I can't tell you how many bad guys he collared, how many lost children he found," he said, his voice ragged with grief. "Goodbye, Jim. God bless."

"We celebrate Jim by celebrating the life he lived, the work he did," said RCMP chaplain Bob Harper. "Sometimes the responsibilities seem overwhelming. Sometimes the public is not entirely appreciative. But we are needed. People depend on us. We uphold the right."

Cpl. James (Jim) Wilbert Gregson Gallowaygalloway1


Regimental Number 27332

Cpl. Jim Galloway was born on July 26, 1948 at Montreal, Quebec, where he joined the RCMP on May 6, 1969. After completing Depot Training in Regina, he was posted to the Governor General’s Troop, Protective Services, “A” Division, Ottawa on November 24, 1969.

Following this tour of duty in Ottawa, Cpl. Galloway held posts in Saskatchewan at: Elbow Detachment, "F" Division from October 13, 1970 to July 30, and at Swift Current Detachment, "F" Division from July 30, 1973 to December 15, 1975.

Jim joined the RCMP with the specific intent of serving in the Police Service Dog Section. He had a keen interest in dogs early in his life, helping his father raise Beagles, Springer Spaniels, and English Pointers. At one point they had a stock of 28 adult breeding dogs.

Jim was selected for Police Service Dog Section on December 15, 1975, posted to “C” Division (Quebec), Security Services, Dorval Airport. He was promoted to Cpl. on September 6, 1977, and held subsequent postings within Police Service Dog Section as follows:

September 6, 1977 to June 11, 1986 -St. Albert Sub/Division Dog Section ( Ft . Saskatchewan)
June 11, 1986 to September 30, 2000 -“K” Division- Edmonton Support Services, Dog Section
September 30, 2000 to December 01, 2002 -Northern Alberta District Dog Section (Sherwood Park)
December 01, 2002 to February 28,2004 -K” Division Police Dog Service (Strathcona County)
Dogs handled by Cpl. Galloway include Klia, Shep, Max, Danko, and Cito.

Cpl. Galloway has provided exemplary service to the Police Service Dog Section, with his leadership, tenacity, strong work ethics and outstanding dedication. He has held the role of Program Manager, “K” Division since November 2002.

Cpl Galloway managed the RCMP Civilian Search and Rescue Service Dog Program in Alberta. He has been an active member and team coordinator for Northern Alberta Wilderness Search and Rescue, instrumental in training and certifying to an approved standard, numerous civilian search and rescue dog teams in Alberta. Cpl Galloway’s consistent, thorough, and professional approach to any task has been his trademark; qualities he has imparted on those who worked alongside of him.

Additionally, Cpl Galloway served as a member of the Edmonton Emergency Response Team (ERT) and tactical teams. He was killed in the line of duty on 2004 February 28, while involved in an ERT call, attempting to apprehend a mentally unstable individual during an armed stand-off.

Jim married Margaret Bromley Edwards, from Montreal, on May 22, 1971. Jim is survived by his wife Margaret and their three children and eight grandchildren. Jim was predeceased by his parents, Lucy and Duncan Galloway.


125 Canada Anniversary Medal 1992-12-12
Queen’s Golden Jubilee Medal 2002-09-06
RM 20 Yr Long Service Medal 1989-05-07
RM 25 Yr LSM Bronze Clasp 1994-05-05
RM 30 Yr LSM Silver Clasp 1999-05-05
Full Regimental Funeral:

Friday, March 5, 2004 at 10:00 hrs.
Alliance Church (corner of Wye Rd. and Cloverbar Rd.)
Sherwood Park, Alberta

Donations: in lieu of flowers, may be sent to the:

RCMP Civilian Search Dog Association of Alberta,
c/o of Sherwood Park Detachment


The Veternarian Teaching Hospital Expansion at
Western College of Veternarian Medicine
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

Sun, February 29, 2004

Gunman kills cop

Armed man also dead as standoff turns ugly when suspect tries to leave

A four-hour standoff between police and an armed man holed up in a Spruce Grove home erupted into a tragic shootout that cost the lives of a veteran Edmonton Mountie and a 39-year-old man yesterday. RCMP dog handler Cpl. James Galloway, 53, spent 31 years on the force and was very well-known, RCMP spokesman Cpl. Wayne Oakes said late last night, after confirming Galloway's death in hospital.

"Everyone knew Jim," Oakes said, adding the shootings were "a tragedy on two fronts."

The drama began at about 2 p.m. when officers arrived to investigate a report of a bullet hole in a vehicle, Oakes said.

While police were looking at the vehicle in the Lakewood subdivision, a woman ran out of the home and "frantically advised the officers to get out of the area," saying the man inside the house was agitated and had a gun, Oakes said.

The RCMP emergency response team was immediately called to seal off the area and nearby residents were told to leave their houses or stay in the basement.

CFRN-TV reported the gunman had called their newsroom to say he had enough of the "crap" he had been taking from police and said someone was going to die.

Negotiators were in touch with the lone man inside the house, but shortly after 6 p.m. he tried to leave in a vehicle, Oakes said.

"Officers in the area responded and gunfire erupted."

Oakes couldn't say how many shots were fired.

Galloway and the suspect, who was not identified last night pending notification of next of kin, suffered gunshot wounds and he and the officer were rushed away in ambulances. Both later died of their injuries in hospital.

The neighbourhood is being treated as a crime scene and access will be limited while the investigation is underway, Oakes said.

Galloway received a certificate of achievement in search and rescue in 2002 for his years of work in the area, including helping Alberta's search dog teams form a province-wide association, the RCMP Civilian Search and Rescue Service Dog Association. He grew up in Quebec, joining the RCMP in 1969 and its police dog section in 1975. He lived in Sherwood Park.

James Killips, who lives across the street from the house where the drama unfolded yesterday, said he heard a series of about 30 shots shortly after 6 p.m., then saw someone being dragged up the street to an ambulance. "It was just like watching a TV show," he said.

The unidentified man involved in the standoff moved into the house two or three years ago and seemed to keep to himself, Killips said.

"It really makes you wonder if it's a safe neighbourhood anymore."

Web Posted Mar 1 2004 01:17 PM MST

Mounties mourn slain officer

Edmonton - Flags are flying at half mast Monday at Edmonton's RCMP headquarters as officers mourn the death of one of their own.

Veteran RCMP officer Jim Galloway, 53, was shot and killed Saturday when gunfire erupted between police and a man in a Spruce Grove home.

RCMP have identified the gunman as Martin Ostopovich, 39. He also died in the shoot-out.

RCMP spokesman Corporal Wayne Oakes remembered Galloway as "an extremely dedicated officer to his duties and just to folks in general."

He said the department is continuing its investigation. "It is difficult but we have to present a professional image and there is a time for us to sit back and cry," he says.

The man accused of killing Galloway had been diagnosed with schizophrenia, but refused treatment.

Family and friends of Ostopovich say he was a wonderful man, always willing to help, but he changed after a truck accident five years ago. It was soon after that he was diagnosed with schizophrenia.

His mother Shirley Eldon said her son-in-law refused treatment because he felt like it was the quote,"enemy trying to control him." He also couldn't afford the medication, she said.

The Galloway family has not yet set a date for the funeral, but a regimental funeral is expected to be held later this week.

Galloway, who had been with the force 31 years, was working in the police-dog unit.

He was in a position to retire, but loved his job and wanted to continue serving the Canadian public, colleagues said.

Galloway helped organize a civilian search dog service and in 2002 he won the Queen's Golden Jubilee Award for his significant contribution to society. Just two weeks earlier, he and his dog Cito rescued a cold and hungry young boy who had disappeared in a wooded rural area.

Officers had evacuated the Spruce Grove neighbourhood Saturday night after a man barricaded himself in his home. When the man tried to leave, gunfire erupted.

Corporal Galloway died at the scene.

Police continue to investigate the incident on Monday. Forensic investigators are trying to piece together the events that led up to the deaths. Autopsies will be performed on both bodies.

RCMP Cpl. Jim Galloway Killed By Gunman in Armed Standoff

Officer Down: Cpl. Jim Galloway - [Edmonton, Alberta]

SPRUCE GROVE, Alberta, Canada -- An armed standoff involving an agitated Spruce Grove man ended tragically Saturday with the death of the man and a veteran RCMP dog handler during an exchange of gunfire.

RCMP Cpl. Jim Galloway, 53, a 31-year member, died after he was shot outside a home on Greystone Drive in the Grove Meadows area shortly before 6 p.m.

Police are not releasing the name of the other deceased man, who was 39 years old.

RCMP spokesman Cpl. Wayne Oakes said it is not yet known how the fatal shootings occurred.

But based on the reports of neighbours, it is believed the suspect shot Galloway, who was handling his dog at the time, and was then shot by police.

"All I can tell you," Oakes said, "at this time is that there was an exchange of gunfire. Cpl. Galloway was hit and died at the scene. The suspect was also shot and he also died at the scene."

Neighbours say police were called to the normally quiet Greystone Drive cul-de-sac shortly after 11 a.m. after a resident on the street noticed a bullet hole in his vehicle.

When police arrived to investigate, someone in a nearby house "frantically advised the officers to get out of the area" because another person in the same house was "armed in an agitated state," Oakes said.

Police immediately cordoned off a two-block area surrounding the house and warned nearby residents to either leave or stay in their basements.

A local television station reported the gunman called their newsroom and said he had had enough of the "crap" he had been taking from police and someone was going to die.

According to Canadian Press, RCMP contacted the man, who said he wanted to leave. They told him he couldn't. Police laid down spike belts around his car.

It's not known if, or when, the other occupant of the house left.

Next-door neighbour Casey Van Leeuwen said he spent most of Saturday in his Spruce Grove basement with his daughter during the standoff.

Van Leeuwen told The Journal that at about 11 a.m. another neighbour showed him a bullet hole in his car. The bullet had entered the driver's side window and exited through a rear fender.

The RCMP were called and Van Leeuwen was told to remain in his house. Within minutes, police, including SWAT team members, began to arrive in force.

"I made some excursions upstairs to look out the window," Van Leeuwen said.

"There were officers in SWAT gear and white fatigues and German Shepherd (dogs) everywhere."

At one point during the long day, Van Leeuwen let one of the white-clad officers crawl through his daughter's bedroom window with his M-16 rifle to take up a firing position in his living room.

"It was really bizarre," Van Leeuwen said. "It was like a movie."

Police continued their attempts to negotiate with the man throughout the day, until around 5:30 p.m., when Van Leeuwen said he heard what he believes was a loud bang and three gunshots. He looked out his window and saw officers running into the Greystone Drive cul-de-sac.

Walking outside, Van Leeuwen saw his next-door neighbour, who he knows only as Marty, face down on the ground behind his vehicle. Police then yelled at him to get back inside his house and not come out again.

Just before 6 p.m., Van Leeuwen saw a police officer being loaded into an ambulance.

Late Saturday night, Oakes said investigators were still trying to determine how the standoff ended in the death of a police officer and the suspect.

"There will be a full review of the response to the incident," Oakes said.

Van Leeuwen said he saw police remove a number of guns from the man's house last summer.

Neighbours were shocked by the violence in their quiet neighbourhood.

Erin Stevenson, 27, said she was on her way home and found herself following the ambulance that eventually transported the wounded Mountie to the hospital.

"We have never seen anything like this," Stevenson said.

Neighbour Michael Gilliard wasn't surprised by the shootings.

"It's the world we live in.

"Some people aren't satisfied with it and the way they deal with it is with violence."

RCMP Cpl Jim Galloway Mourned

RCMP officers across Alberta mourned the loss of a respected colleague yesterday. Dog handler and 31-year RCMP veteran Cpl. Jim Galloway was shot dead Saturday after a four-hour standoff in Spruce Grove, 25 km west of Edmonton.

"Jim was a legend in the RCMP police dog service in Canada as a whole," said RCMP Staff Sgt. Garth Patterson of the Mounties' police dog training centre just south of Innisfail, 180 km southwest of Edmonton,

Galloway was program co-ordinator for the Civilian Search Dog Association, training workers and search dogs to help the RCMP and search and rescue agencies across north America. Patterson said police-dog handlers across Canada plan to commemorate Galloway's life in some way - possibly by setting up a children's scholarship in his name - but added it's too soon to make that decision.

Edmonton city police Sgt. Peter Kawalilak, president of the Alberta Federation of Police Associations and a former dog handler, said all officers, regardless of their uniform, feel the loss of a fellow policeman.

"We're all brothers and sisters out there," said Kawalilak, who knew Galloway for 20 years. "It's such a terrible thing that happened out there."

"Jim was a first-class dog handler and a first-class person," said former Calgary city police K-9 unit officer Ron Mistafa, who worked closely with Galloway before launching Dog Services International, which trains dogs for landmine detection in Bosnia. "We had some good laughs together - he could tell a good joke."

Former RCMP officer Sid Slade, who met Galloway in 1989, remembered him fondly.

"He was very well respected. There wasn't anything Jim wouldn't do. He was a very, very devoted individual to the force and to his community."

Slade said he coached baseball and remembers foul balls going into Galloway's yard.

"He would just pick them up and throw them back," Slade said. "That's the kind of guy Jim was."


RCMP: Dog Handler Mountie Killed By Bullet

Edmonton, Alberta Canada - 3/3/2004


A Mountie fatally shot near Edmonton Saturday during a standoff with a gunman was not hit by a bullet fired by police, RCMP confirmed Tuesday. The announcement by Cpl. Wayne Oakes was to clear up rumours that Cpl. Jim Galloway may have been felled by a police bullet. ``The single shot that struck and killed Cpl. Jim Galloway was fired from a firearm of a similar calibre to the one that was in possession of Mr. Martin Ostopovich, and that is not a calibre used by any firearm used by the RCMP,'' Oakes said.
Galloway, a 34-year member of the RCMP, died after being hit by a single bullet in Spruce Grove, a bedroom community west of Edmonton. Ostopovich, 41, described by a family member as mentally ill, was shot by police and later died in hospital. Officers from across Canada will attend a full regimental funeral Friday for Galloway, 53.

Galloway, a veteran dog handler, helped organize a civilian search dog service and in 2002 won the Queen's Golden Jubilee Award for his significant contribution to society.

Just two weeks earlier, he and his dog Cito rescued a cold and hungry young boy who had disappeared in a wooded rural area.


Officer, gunman killed in standoff

Death of well-known constable shakes Edmonton police force

By DARCY HENTON / The Canadian Press

SPRUCE GROVE, Alta. - RCMP say a veteran police dog handler was struck by a single gunshot during a firefight that left both the officer and a gunman dead.

Cpl. Jim Galloway, 53, died at the scene. Martin Charles Ostopovich, 41, died later in hospital after a six-hour standoff Saturday in a quiet suburban neighbourhood erupted into gunfire.

But as investigators knocked on doors and scoured the snow-covered scene with metal detectors on Sunday, it was still unclear what happened in the bedroom community just west of Edmonton.

Cpl. Wayne Oakes couldn't say what provoked the gunplay, who fired first or how many shots were discharged in the deadly supper-hour incident.

He said it appeared the gunman was leaving the small bungalow where he lived when the shooting started.

Galloway, a decorated dog handler, was standing in front of the house, near Ostopovich's mud-covered truck, when he was shot.

"With the best training in the world, the best technology in the world, the best equipment in the world, sometimes things still go horribly bad," Oakes told reporters at the scene.

He said Ostopovich was known to police but he wouldn't elaborate, citing privacy legislation.

One neighbour, who took cover in his basement during the standoff, said Ostopovich was a temperamental individual who owned guns.

Oakes said police were called to the scene just before noon Saturday when a resident reported that a vehicle parked on the street appeared to have been struck by a bullet.

When officers arrived at the home, a panic-stricken woman came out and urged them to leave, warning that Ostopovich was agitated and armed.

"A lady came out and alerted our officers that their presence was putting them in danger," he said. "They grabbed the lady and left the area. That's when additional resources were called in."

An emergency response team rushed to the scene and police were trying to negotiate with Ostopovich when he attempted to leave the home.

Galloway was armed with a police issue Smith and Wesson 9 mm pistol, but Oakes said he didn't know if the RCMP officer fired a shot before he was struck.

Galloway's family issued a statement through the RCMP on Sunday.

"Jim was taken from us while trying to make this world a little safer and a little better for all of us," the statement said.

The family said the tragedy still has yet to sink in and they asked that the media to "please respect that we are in a great deal of pain and uncertainty ...

"There are many questions being asked and there are many answers being sought. The family is focused on supporting and caring for one another at this time," the family said in the statement.

The death of the veteran officer also shook police in the Edmonton area where Galloway was well known for his work with the RCMP search and rescue team and for his skill in training police service dogs.

"There were obviously some folks that evening that were pretty emotionally devastated by the series of events that unfolded here," said Oakes, who said he has known Galloway for more than 25 years.

Although Oakes showed no emotion when he talked to reporters Sunday, he conceded "there's a time and a place for us to sit back and cry."

He said police are aware of the danger involved in their work, but it doesn't weigh heavily on their minds when they carry out their duties.

"You have to take the best precautions that you can and you have to be ever mindful that something like this could occur," he said. "I can guarantee you that no one coming here (Saturday) arrived on the scene thinking that their day, their number, was up."

Galloway, a 31-year veteran, was a father and a grandfather and would have been eligible for retirement, Oakes said.

Although the RCMP now call people like Galloway dog handlers rather than dog masters, Oakes said he "truly was a master at handling dogs."

Oakes also expressed sympathy on behalf of the RCMP to Ostopovich's family.

He said the RCMP major crimes unit from Edmonton's K-Division could be on the scene for up to two days gathering evidence and piecing together the events.

Autopsies are expected to be performed on both shooting victims Monday. Funeral arrangements were pending.

A Very Public Farewell


Thousands of police officers, dignitaries, grieving friends and relatives - even Cpl. Jim Galloway's longtime police-dog partner Cito - will pack a Sherwood Park church today to mourn the veteran officer's shooting death. "They will be from all across the country," said RCMP spokesman Cpl. Wayne Oakes, who has known the 34-year RCMP member since 1985. "People are deeply saddened by the event."

Galloway, a 55-year-old RCMP dog handler, was shot in the back and killed Saturday at a standoff in Spruce Grove. Martin Ostopovich, 41, was shot by police and died in hospital.

Uniformed police officers "in the thousands" are expected to pay their respects today at the Sherwood Park Alliance Church, at 1011 Clover Bar Rd. The officers will gather about two blocks north of the church at 9 a.m., near Clover Bar Road and Knottingham Boulevard, Oakes said.

Police will break into troops of 32 officers, then march to the church and form an "honour column" for Galloway's full regimental funeral, Oakes said.

"The hearse will proceed down through that, and the casket will be taken inside the church. The dog handlers will break off and secure their dogs, and then the column will proceed into the church," said Oakes. "Cito will be the only dog that will be in the church during the service."

The general public can also attend Galloway's funeral, but "you're going to have to fight with the cops for the seats," Oakes said. "But the public - especially those who know the family - they're definitely encouraged to attend."

Once the service ends, officers will reassemble outside the church. "There will be a flag-folding ceremony, and the flag will be presented to (Galloway's wife) Mrs. (Margaret) Galloway," Oakes said.

The main auditorium will seat about 2,000 mourners for the 10 a.m. service. A south gym with a video feed will provide overflow seating for about 500 more people, said church facility-services director Rick Wills.

"Parking is expected to be an issue," Wills warned.

The list of dignitaries attending will include Deputy Prime Minister Anne McLellan, Alberta Lt.-Gov. Lois Hole, provincial Solicitor General Heather Forsyth, Edmonton Mayor Bill Smith, Edmonton police Chief Bob Wasylyshen, Ottawa-based RCMP Commissioner Giuliano Zaccardelli and numerous other senior RCMP officers.

Premier Ralph Klein said he will not be present at the funeral, due to previously arranged meetings in Calgary. He has written a letter of condolence to Cpl. Galloway's family.

K-Division major crimes is still conducting a criminal investigation into the two deaths. Mounties will review the incident, and the province will hold a public fatality inquiry.

Thousands pay their respects to Mountie

Friday, March 05, 2004

SHERWOOD PARK, Alberta -- An estimated 46-hundred people turned out today for the funeral of a slain Alberta RCMP officer.
A church in Sherwood Park, just east of Edmonton, was overflowing with mourners who came to pay their respects to Corporal Jim Galloway.

The 55-year-old veteran Mountie and dog handler was gunned down during a standoff with a lone gunman in Spruce Grove last weekend.

There were about two-thousand people in the funeral procession -- most of them uniformed officers.

Included were 100 police dog handlers and their dogs.

Galloway's casket was carried into the church by eight R-C-M-P officers.

Deputy Prime Minister Anne McLellan and R-C-M-P Commissioner Guiliano Zaccardelli were among the dignitaries who attended the funeral.

© CP 2004

Police gather to remember slain Alberta mountie News Staff

Police representatives from every province and territory gathered in Edmonton on Friday for the funeral of a veteran Alberta RCMP officer who was killed in the line of duty last weekend.

Cpl. Jim Galloway, 55, a dog handler and member of the RCMP emergency response team, was shot and killed last Saturday during an armed standoff in the town of Spruce Grove, just west of Edmonton.

Galloway was a 34-year RCMP veteran.

The suspect, 41-year-old Martin Ostopovich, also died in the standoff.

On Friday, hundreds of scarlet-clad Mounties marched four-abreast, accompanied by a pipe band as the funeral began. More than 2,000 people endured frigid winds and sub-zero temperatures to attend the service.

Deputy Prime Minister Anne McLellan and RCMP Commissioner Guiliano Zaccardelli were among the mourners, as were Alberta Justice Minister Dave Hancock and Solicitor General Heather Forsyth.

Galloway's own dog, Cito, who was at his side when he was shot, attended the funeral in Sherwood Park, the Edmonton community in which Galloway was stationed.

Dozens of police dog handlers from across Canada were also on hand at the Sherwood Park Alliance Church.

"For us, it's a day to show respect for Jim," said RCMP Cpl. Grant Hignell, a fellow dog handler from the Sherwood Park detachment.

"Police officers across the country are pretty close knit. In the dog section it's even more so."

RCMP Cpl. Wayne Oakes said Galloway will be accorded full regimental honours.

The head of the Alberta RCMP dog section in Edmonton, Galloway had been a dog handler since 1975.

He helped organize and manage an RCMP civilian search dog service in Alberta and also belonged to a northern wilderness search and rescue group.

Const. Wade Dargatz, an RCMP dog handler from Prince Rupert, B.C., said Galloway had influenced him to join the canine unit.

"I worked with him the first day and I figured 'O.K., that's what I want to do. I want to do what Jim does,'" said Dargatz. "I can thank him for getting me on this track."

Last Saturday, Galloway and several other members of the emergency response team were trying to arrest Ostopovich when the fatal shots were fired.

Shots were fired as Ostopovich tried to leave his house and enter his car. Galloway was killed when a bullet struck him in the back.

A family member said Ostopovich suffered from schizophrenia and reportedly had ceased taking his medication.

Web Posted Mar 5 2004 03:37 PM MST

Dogs join funeral procession for Mountie

Edmonton - A funeral procession of about 2,000 peace officers from across Canada paid tribute on Friday to Corporal Jim Galloway, the RCMP officer killed last Saturday in the line of duty.

Hundreds of Mounties from across Canada, dressed in their scarlet tunics, marched four abreast in the Sherwood Park Alliance Church.

There were about 100 police dogs in the procession to honour Galloway, who was a dog handler. His dog, Cito, was allowed inside the church.

A pipe band accompanied the coffin, along with officers who work in canine units throughout the country.

Deputy Prime Minister Anne McLellan and RCMP Commissioner Guiliano Zaccardelli joined an overflow crowd of more than 4,000 at the regimental funeral.

Also attending were Calgary police chief Jack Beaton and Deputy Chief Jim Hornby, along with several other Calgary RCMP officers.

Police officers from as far away as Newfoundland were at the funeral. Galloway was shot in the back during a standoff with a mentally ill man last Saturday in Spruce Grove.

He had responded with his dog to a report of an armed man barricaded in a house. The gunman also died.

Sgt. Dave Wood, who traveled from Surrey, B.C., on a RCMP plane to attend the funeral, says many officers have memories of Cpl. Galloway.

" Jimmy is especially known because he's been in the dog section for so long – 50 years old and still responding to calls at all hours of the night," he said. "I just have a lot of admiration for him."

Constable Al Fraser, who knew Galloway for 14 years, says watching the casket pass by the row of officers in their red and blue formal uniforms was the most emotional part of the funeral.

''Seeing at the end the lines and lines of members law enforcement people and the dogs all there for him to say 'Take care, Jim,'" he said.

Cpl. Galloway is survived by his wife Margaret, three children and eight grandchildren. He had been with the RCMP for 35 years.

The family of Martin Ostopovich, who also died, is refusing to release details about his funeral, saying it will remain private.

Ostopovich is believed to have been mentally ill and not taking his medication at the time of the shooting.